Instagram

Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Blue Ridge Parkway

The past few days were spent driving along the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you want to drive miles and miles of curvy roads with numerous overlooks and tunnels along with several others doing the same, it's the place to be. The road goes from the Canadian border to Key West and you can get from one place to another in about 6 months.

Ok, so maybe it doesn't go to Key West...or Canada. It sure feels like it!

Where are my manners? What I meant so say is that this drive has:

"Outstanding scenery and recreational opportunities make the Blue Ridge Parkway one of the most popular units of the National Park System. "America's Favorite Drive" winds its way 469 miles through mountain meadows and past seemingly endless vistas. Split-rail fences, old farmsteads and historic structures complement spectacular views of distant mountains and neighboring valleys."

Ya Hoooo!

THAT'S what I meant!

I think 2 days is plenty for this drive.

It was too cold to hike with Max so most of the drive was spent inside of the car, except I got out and wandered around a bit, taking pictures of things we encountered. I was hoping to see a bear, but no luck today.

Be aware when you stop to take a picture somewhere that is not officially designated as an "overlook." Everyone slows down and pulls over and watches where you are taking pictures. Once they see you..they jump out of their car, run up to you and take the same picture. Look over there! It's a field! Look there! There's a tree in a field with a fence! Wow, this time with a cow! One guy turned to me and said, "I thought them broken tree would look good in a picture."

Maybe my destiny is to live in the hills where there aren't any people around. It's not that I don't enjoy the company of a human...it's just that too many humans in one place at the same time on a 3,000 mile windy road becomes a bit tiring.

I am glad I experienced the ride. It was one of the most beautiful drives I have ever been on, without an ocean.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails