Instagram

Saturday, July 10, 2010

North Lake Tahoe

To beat the heat, I took a drive to the big lake nearby.  I wasn't the only one thinking the same thing.  As I approached Kings Beach, the parking lot was full but I managed to grab a spot.  This was my first time on the North end of the lake and it was beautiful.  There were so many people out enjoying the day, swimming in the water, playing with their kids.  It's a perfect family vacation destination.

There is something about Lake Tahoe.  The redwoods grow near the water and even though you hear motor boats all around, you know you are still in the forest.

I walked along the shore, observing everyone on vacation having a good time and snapping pictures along the way.  I have to admit that this was the first time I felt lonely.  Don't get me wrong, I love being on the road, seeing the sights and meeting interesting people but sometimes when you are in such a beautiful place, it would be nice to spend the moment with someone you know.

That feeling got me thinking.  For the past three years, I've spent about a year being on the
road, traveling to various places.  Once I quit my job, I was off and running.  Since then, I have never really grounded myself where I live and consequently, some friends are constantly surprised to see me in town.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised at their reaction since I am traveling a lot, but it does sadden me a bit.  All of this uprooting makes it difficult to nurture relationships or grow seeds with new ones since I can't spend the time it takes with people to be in their lives while I am out, wandering about.  I do have a few friends where it doesn't matter how much time goes by when I do see them, but I am not in contact with them on a daily basis.  So, seeing people together having fun on a beach makes me a tad nostalgic of the times where I stayed home long enough for friends to invite me to such gatherings.

Yet once again, I choose to make the road my home for now.  I love to travel with Max, but sometimes it takes some planning, depending on the weather.  It was too hot to take him on this day trip, so he stayed at the cabin while I toured around the lake.  There weren't many dogs out and I am not sure if they are allowed on the beach, but they should be.  I am glad I took the trip to see the lake.  Lake Tahoe is truly a beautiful place. Now it's time to look at a map and figure out where to go next.  Thank you to those of you who take the time to read about my journeys.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails