Instagram

Friday, November 6, 2009

On The Road

Sometimes it's hard to believe that I've been on the road since July. In fact, I've only been home about 5 months for the past two years. I enjoy it. I have been fortunate enough to work hard right out of college to work in a large corporation to be able to afford living out of a car.

I miss some of the comforts of home, but I am the happiest in nature. For me, it's hard to turn my brain off. I have found that taking pictures with my little camera has put me more in the present than anything else I have experienced.

Perhaps it's my own form of meditation. The only other activities that have put me in the moment and the present is when I played basketball in college, bootcamp, shooting guns and now...photography.

It's also a bonus that I get to share this with you. Being alone for so long camping, driving or checking into a motel 6 can wear on your brain. If you allow it, it could make you a little nuts. Perhaps I am a little nuts to do this, but it is something I will never forget.

Traveling on this this trip solo allows me plenty of time to think. Sometimes I am just tired of thinking so pictures give me the chance stay still and focus on my surroundings. It gets me out in nature when I am tired, it takes me to places that I might not feel like going to and it makes me appreciate the beauty that surrounds all of us.

This has taken me beyond the guardrail in so many ways.

Being sober for seven months also helps with being in the present moment. I am not spending my time in bars or looking for the next place to have a glass of wine. I am not sleeping in and wishing I didn't over do it the night before. I am living life at the speed of life.

Even though I am heading in the direction of home for the next few weeks, the journey will not end. I plan on traveling as much as I can to see the beauty this country, and perhaps what other countries have to show us.

As always, I look forward to more.



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails