Instagram

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Captain Andy And His Yard Ship

Sometimes I make it a point to get lost.

Even when I am headed to a specific destination, I will turn another direction if the mood strikes or if the street looks interesting.  I think it's the surprise of the unknown that draws me to veer off course.  There are so many places to turn on the coast of Maine.  You can see something new everyday if you make a turn to the unknown.

Yesterday, I did just that.  I was bored of driving on the main road so I decided to change direction.  I didn't know where it would take me but I just wanted to see something different.  I drove by some absolutely beautiful homes and after a while, I came across a home with a shipwreck sitting right on the front porch.

At that moment, I knew I had to stop.  Not knowing what I was going to encounter, I saw a man standing there staring at the ship in the yard.  Of course he turned to me as anyone would with a stranger pulling up in their driveway.  I smiled and said hello and said some brilliant words that went something like, "that's a big ship in your yard." Well, duh anyone could see that but captain Andy was gracious enough to play along and say, "yes it is."  A Maine resident all his life, Andy and I then chatted about ships for a while and he was kind enough to allow me to take his photograph with his pride and joy.  He stood there and couldn't take his eyes off of her.  She was part of him.

I am glad I made the turn to the unexpected to meet Andy and his yard ship.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails