Instagram

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Taking Photographs Of Kids

As you know, I love taking photographs of dogs.  Besides the fact that I love all animals and especially dogs, it might be because they usually don't know what you are doing.  The same holds true with Children, depending on the age and if their parents take a lot of photographs of them.  Kids are fun to photograph because you never know what kind of reaction you will get when you point a camera in their direction.  Ok, I am not saying children are like dogs, I am just explaining that the innocence is pure, refreshing, and that you should always expect the unexpected.


I love the unscripted look.  The moment in time when someone forgets there is a camera or relaxes enough that their personality shines through.  Kids are usually unscripted and they do whatever they want, when they want and they won't fake a smile if they don't feel like smiling.  There is something refreshing about that.  With adults, sometimes I have to hide the camera for the perfect moment when they are not looking or tell them to pretend that I'm not there.  For the most part they look away and pretend they don't see me with a big smile on their face.

The past few months, I've been lucky enough to get some candid photographs of children.  I don't know why, but this black and white photograph of a little girl at the Johnny Cash festival (top left)  is one of my personal favorites.  I love the way she is looking at me.  To me, she is fierce and fearless and from the looks of it, she does what she wants...when she wants.

My heart goes out to her mother.

The past few months, I was able to witness kids at play at a Northern Arizona Ranch, Alumapalooza, Venice and at the Johnny Cash festival.  All different personalities, but all doing what kids do best...being themselves.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails