Instagram

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Where I don't belong

I've always been one to ask, "why not?" There has to be a reason someone would say no and to me, it needed to make a lot of sense before I agreed to it. I'm not a big fan of the word no.

Maybe that's why I like fences. Besides the fact they are pretty, there is always a way to get to the other side even if the entire reason for the fence is to keep you out.

When I was in 7th grade, I didn't have many friends but I always enjoyed playing sports. Why not try out for the school's flag football team? Who cares that I'm a girl? It's a good thing my mother didn't mind me pushing the envelope at a young age and agreed to take me to the football tryouts where it was very apparent that I was the only girl doing so. Being that I didn't have many friends at that age, I made the decision not to try out at the last minute, but it was my decision weather or not I wanted to do it. Four years later, I ended up being the quarterback for the powder puff football team in high school for two years.

I feel that we can do anything we set our minds to. Why not? It seems that the only person saying no to our dreams is that little voice inside of our head that is believing that we can't. If you feel that you can, then you should do it...whatever it is that you want to do.

Tonight I went out to enjoy a nice hot and steamy bowl of pho. It's one of my favorite comfort foods. On my way to a coffee shop after dinner, I passed by a barber shop. It wasn't just any hair cutting place, it was one of those, "men only" shops. I have always wanted to take a picture of men getting their hair cut! Not just any cut, but an old fashioned parlor where women aren't allowed. In fact, as I walked in wide eyed with a big smile on my face they knew instantly that I didn't belong. I knew I wasn't supposed to walk inside, but maybe that's what drew me in. Of course I walked in and didn't have a camera in tow. I asked if it was ok if I snapped a few pictures. He looked at me puzzed. After a long pause, he shrugged his shoulders and then said, "ok, why not." I was thrilled!

I ran back to my car to grab my camera and ran back to the shop. As I arrived, the same gentleman nodded his head to say, "be our guest." I was so excited! I started snapping away without thinking. After a few shots, the gentleman walked up to me and said, "um...you know, this is a male owned and operated store." I said, "that's fantastic!" He looked at me as if I wasn't getting the point. He than said, "well, men are only allowed here and woman are not allowed to come inside." I smiled and said, "you mean, I can't get my haircut here tonight?" I don't think he appreciated my enthusium with a slight hint of sarcasm. After that, he brushed his hands towards the floor, pointing to the door (very polietly, I might add) which meant that it was time for me to leave. I understood and left.

I love a barbershop. It's where men can gather and groom each other, talk about boy things and be together in their "manhood." So facinating. I think I will continue to wander where girls are "not allowed."

Sorry boys.

Don't worry, I will ask first...I think.

Most of the time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails