Instagram

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Behind the "Point and Click"

I wanted to write a note about myself and my extensive photography background so you can learn a little more about me. I would also love to learn more about you!

I grew up in Southern California and have lived in California all of my life. My mother is an artist and I remember going to her art classes as a young child and couldn't’t wait to get out. Her medium is ceramic sculpture but at the time I would rather put my fingers in the mud and play.

I took my first and only photography class in high school. It was a black and white film class where we developed our own film and pictures. I loved it. I used to drag my friends out of bed at 6am to meet me at the classroom first thing in the morning to take their portrait. I still have the photographs, but the classes ended there.

I love animals and being in nature. I camped a lot growing up and went on a 30 day outward bound class as a teenager. Perhaps that was more of a “you better straighten up” class, but it taught be a lot about living in the outdoors and being ok with being alone in the wilderness.

I’ve always enjoyed taking pictures, but I have never had the time to study it. After graduating college, my sole focus was on my career and climbing the corporate ladder. I did that for 15 years and felt I reached the top half of the steps but still wasn’t satisfied. After much thought and consideration, I decided to quit my job to travel the United States.

Last year I did it with a teardrop trailer and with my dog, Maggie. We had a great time, but I didn’t take the time to be still. Maggie has since passed and now my new dog and partner in crime, Max and I are exploring it again in a tent. This time, I am taking more pictures and documenting the trip more than I thought I ever would. It’s the best decision I have ever made.

So, to make a long story short… I am not a professional photographer. All of my pictures are taken with a “point and click” Cannon Power shot that you can buy at most large retail stores for about $150 bucks. Also, I don’t have Photoshop, so what you see is pretty much what you get. I love to learn and try new things. I tend to take pictures of things I love to look at. That is why you see a lot of birds, water, trees and sky in my pictures.

I hope you are enjoying the pictures as much as I am taking them.

Update: July 31, 2010 - Since this blog, I am using Lightroom to edit photos and I have a new camera.  I have documented this along the way although some of you may be new to this blog.  Thank you for following us on our adventure!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails