Instagram

Thursday, May 6, 2010

"Hello, Can I Take Your Picture?"


It's been a while since I went out and spent the day taking pictures.  I thought it was about time to go out and see what I could find.  Today, I went to Huntington Beach and to do my usual snapping away at things that looked interesting, but this time I was going to get out of my comfort zone of hiding behind the camera and actually walk up and talk to people. I know, scary...right?

It's not that I don't mind talking to people, it's just that you never know what you are going to get when you approach someone who is enjoying the day and who really didn't count on some woman coming up and asking to take their picture while they relax on the beach.  I was completely surprised that every person I asked said yes.  When you think about it, being at the beach in a swimsuit is one of the most vulnerable places to be for many people.  I prepared myself for the, "get out of here lady!" or, "can't you see that I don't want to be bothered!" response.  Perhaps because it was such a beautiful day that people didn't mind the attention.  Whatever the case, it I was appreciative of it.

It really was a beautiful day.  I enjoy taking pictures of everyday people living their life and I certainly came across a mix of personalities.
The way it should be.

Many asked why I wanted to take their photo and I explained to them that I like to take pictures and that I was doing it for practice, which is true.  On my upcoming travels, I look forward to engaging with people more than I have in the past.  I want to learn about their life, hear stories and document the "American life."  The lives that many of us don't read about in the news or watch on television.  I wanted to do that with my American Life Today blog, but this time I will run into people that might not have computers to share their story.

I look forward to sharing more images of, "hello, can I take your picture." Who knows, I might run into you!  In that case, please say yes.

You can see more pictures from my day by clicking HERE.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails